food moments...

There is nothing better than spending time with loved ones and friends over a nice dish of something yummy!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Slow Food UW

We've had a couple of very good dinners at this event on Monday nights near campus. We are looking forward to more dinners. The students' cooking exhibits a great understanding and respect around food, where it comes from, how to nourish others with it, and how to build community. This small community of foodies has an enthusiasm that is infectious. I may be persuaded to cook myself. The volume of food to be made is a bit daunting but there is plenty of help.
I'd like to research the Slow Food Movement some more. I know it originally began in Italy and has been publicized more in large food cities like NY and California.
My parents are familiar with the practice of it, although they did not know a movement was created around it; they just did it as a way of life. They taught me on how to make fresh pasta, stuffed pastas, and more. Every summer we had a small production factory going in the backyard as we bottled a couple of hundred tomato jars. We use the jars for making my aunt's wonderful sauce.
I'll admit to using canned varieties of crushed tomatoes from the supermarket today because they are just as good. I've learned not to mention this fact again to my aunt, after I realized this tradition was part of their life in Italy. They have a strong need to preserve it here because it gave them the identity they still wanted to cling to. I don't know if, when my aunt dies, will the tradition continue?

No comments:

Post a Comment